Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Fishing Kit for Kids

 It's birthday party season for us!!!  I have had a pair of jeans (my most favorite jeans EVER) laying near my sewing machine just waiting to be upcycled into something fabulous.  I just needed some inspiration.  Issac's third birthday was just the motivation I needed.  I drew out a fish and traced the outline onto the legs of my old jeans (R.I.P.).  After cutting the fish outlines out, I used old buttons for the eyes.  I then sewed the jeans together using my machine and left the mouth area open so that I could stuff the fish with a bit of stuffing.  I used both sides of the jean fabric, which added some nice variation to the fish coloring.  I even made some of the fish out of mismatched fabric sides, just to mix it up.
 After adding the stuffing, I added a washer and left it poking out so that it was easier for the magnet to grab onto.  I had to hand-sew this portion.  I used red thread through the project, just to add an extra accent.
 After throwing the fish into their bucket, I assembled the fishing pole.  I used some bamboo and drilled a hole through one end of the stick.  I then threaded jute through the hole and tied it.  On the other end of the jute, I attached magnets.  Originally I used Darcie magnets from JoAnns, but they were much too weak to lift the fish.  I had of course waited to test this until the morning of the party right before I left to get my hot yoga on.  A frantic crafter left her husband in charge of this final detail and he really came through.  He actually disassembled his favorite magnetic grabber thingy (I'm pretty sure that's the official name) and attached it to the end of the jute.  When I came back, I used the Cricut to cut an "I" for Issac and tada: the perfect gift for a three-year-old boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment